Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Sliding Doors

A long while back, there was a lil known movie called Sliding Doors that told the story of a lady, reminiscent of a very youthful Gwyneth Paltrow, who found herself splitting into two alternate timelines because of one possible missed train. One in which she actually managed to get on that train and one where the doors literally shut on her.

Just a serendipitous incidence that would send her life barrelling down two entirely separate timelines that couldn't be more different. 

That very distinct image of the sliding train doors always remained with me - along with the surprisingly sentimental ballad from Aqua that accompanied it. 



One that comes to mind whenever I travel afield with Charming Calvin since he moves at a snail's pace while I'm decidedly ... faster. Though age has slowed me down plenty, I'm still plenty quick enough to leave him quite literally in the dust. Which is one reason why I'm always spinning around every hundred metres or so to make sure he's at least ten paces behind. 

Otherwise I might actually lose sight of him. 

Which is what happened in a train station in Tokyo.

And yes, we've been there several times since that first time. That's another couple of stories to tell. 

Rush hour in Tokyo is a crazy madhouse with crowds rushing to and fro at maddening speeds, though Charming Calvin always seems spectacularly unfazed by the human chaos and methodically trudges his way down the steps. Me, akin to many other brash mainland Chinese passengers, I'm all too prepared to smack, shove and strain my way into the nearest possible train. Scrambling down the steps to see the train doors fortuitously open, I rarely think twice about stepping in. 

Made it right on time!

Moments before I of course swung around to find him as I usually do. Only to see the train doors gradually closing. It was like a movie sequence with everything slowed down to a staggering pause as we both stared at each other through the doors. I could practically hear Aqua singing. Perhaps I looked amused, I might even have waved. Calvin for sure looked absolutely aghast. 

Fortunately though it was something both of us had anticipated a long time ago - quite brainy the both us! - and even prepared several options for what to do after. First plan would be for me to hurry out at the next station and try to enter the following train at the same carriage.  

After that, I actually suggested hurrying him into stations and then pushing him into the train in front of me. Calvin wasn't too amused at that. 


1 comment:

DinoRic said...

Oh wow! It’s alive! It’s been a long time since I posted any post. Haha! Glad to see you still do!