Sunday, December 20, 2009

Slave to Books

When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food.

Certainly far too true for me! Fortunately I am lucky enough to have my fair share of both! Came as a sudden realization that I might have had too much of a good thing when I had to unpack the entire lot this weekend. You see, I had the movers stuff all my books into huge boxes - hoping to one day catalogue the entire staggering library.

Turns out it's practically the Bibliotheca Alexandrina.

Kayky Brito
Wait. You'd rather examine this dusty book rather than check out my etchings?

Can't believe I managed to finish the whole catalog in two years - with the exams looming back then! Must have been crazy. Have I really been reading all that much? Emptied the boxes to find about 150 books. And that's not counting the boxes I shipped over to Miri. Or the ones I'd been slowly transporting in random shipments back home.

Let's not even count the dusty volumes I've left back home on the shelves. And the drawers. And the dining table. And below the stairs. I don't even dare unpack those.

Terrifying.

Guess Arnold Lobel had it right.

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.


Obviously I need to unload more than a few books. Have dropped a couple of choice paperbacks on Charming Calvin's head - so that he can finally achieve his new year's resolution of reading ten books this year.

My New Year's Resolution? To get my books catalogued! Any cute librarians about?

8 comments:

MrBunnyBan said...

I have only this to say...

I call first dibs on your extra receipts! Forgot to keep my own. :P

William said...

I organize my books into-- read and unread. :P

sharman said...

i used to be a librarian back in school hahaha... i only did it coz i loved reading! ahhhh its been awhile...

Mr.D said...

How about donating it? It's Christmas season anyway~

Anonymous said...

wowwww... thats alot... din know u r submissive :P

Gratitude said...

gotten any wiser? :P
+Ant+

Unknown said...

@Gratitude : WAH! i was just going to ask him that question! Lol.

I love books too. When I read, I do not cook, I do not entertain my kids , I do not answer any calls.....lol . Unless when hubby is around, then , HE is the priority.

Much as I love books and I have A LOT too, I will still buy FOOD first! LOL.

Good luck. Having a small personal library......so classy just like YOU!

hugs,
shakira
www.justmeshakirack.blogspot.com
www.justmeshakira.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

You have a voraciously healthy appetite for 'knowledge-between-covers'. I must say that I have the same issue with books too.